SCHOOL SHOOTINGS: “Tears in Heaven” News Montage
A montage of actualities about Friday’s tragedy set to Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven.
Ways to Help Those Affected
As the nation continues to grieve over the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, several mental health professionals and aid organizations have set up Newtown, Connecticut, to assist those affected by the tragedy. Here’s a list of organizations in town and how to help:
- Sandy Hook School Support Fund: Provides support services through United Way’s Western Connecticut chapter. Make out checks to: Sandy Hook School Support Fund c/o Newtown Savings Bank 39 Main St., Newtown CT 06470. Make an online donation at newtown.uwwesternct.org/.
- Danbury Hospital: Has set up a 24-hour crisis hotline. Donate directly at 1460.thankyou4caring.org/page.aspx?pid=298.
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Victims Relief Fund: A former Sandy Hook student has set up a Crowdwise account to raise money for those affected by the shooting. Proceeds will benefit the Sandy Hook PTSA. Donate directly at crowdwise.com/SHSRelief.
- Newtown Memorial Fund: Aims to help families pay for funeral costs. Donations may be send to Newtown Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 596, Botsford, CT 06404.
- Newtown Youth & Family Services: All donations made to the organization will benefit those affected by the shootings. The non-profit will also provide emergency counseling for families, community members and staff involved in the tragedy. Mail checks to Newtown Youth & Family Services, 15 Berkshire Rd. Sandy Hook, CT 06482.
- Emilie Parker Memorial Fund: Family and friends of the Parker family have set up a Facebook page and PayPal account to help pay for the funeral of six-year-old Emilie Parker. Learn more at facebook.com/EmilieParkerFund.
- Project Linus: This nonprofit has arranged to send more than 700 handmade blankets to children affected by the shootings. Donate directly to projectlinus.org/donations.
- American Red Cross: More than 100 Red Cross volunteers have provided more than 400 stuffed animals to children attending Sunday night’s memorial service. The organization is asking supporters to reach out to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund at newtown.uwwesternct.org/.
- Support the Family of Noah Pozner: Sympathy cards supporting the family of six-year-old victim Noah Pozner may mailed to: Friends of Maddie 1534 North Moorpark Rd., Suite 284, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.