Things That Start Wars in the Office
Anytime people are expected to share a common area for a prolonged amount of time, conditions are always perfect for a feud to boil over. That’s certainly true at the workplace. There are so many little fight-starters that present themselves on a daily basis. Here are six common things that start wars in every office.
See if any of these sound familiar…
1. The thermostat. Giving employees control over the thermostat is like throwing one steak into a cage of two lions. Men are hot and want the air conditioner turned up. Women are freezing and want the heat turned on. The fighting often gets ugly.
2. The coffee maker. Did someone finish the pot and leave without making more? Did someone make the pot extra strong because they like it that way?
3. Kids’ fundraisers. Would you be the most-hated person in your office if you didn’t agree to buy Girl Scout cookies from your co-worker’s kid? What if you bought from their kid and they didn’t buy from your kid? Yikes, that could get ugly.
4. The office potluck party. There are always those who bring nothing to the table but eat anyway.
5. Burned microwave popcorn. It appears that Mary entered 30-minutes instead of 30-seconds on the microwave again and now the entire office is choking on popcorn smoke.
6. Failing to reset the timer on the microwave. People will often stop the microwave before the time runs out, but don’t reset the clock. This really ticks off your OCD coworkers who hate seeing one-second on the clock.