A box of fabric softener dryer sheets have uses beyond the laundry room.
– Pot “Scrubber.” If you’re someone who likes baking your macaroni and cheese, you will agree that the worst part is dealing with the messy baking dish, with the fused noodle/cheese hybrid that takes forever to scrape out. You can try soaking it over night with warm soapy water, but you’ll still have to spend lots of time scrubbing out the baked-on bits. Instead, throw a fabric softener sheet into the pot with warm soapy water and leave overnight. The mess will be gone (almost) in the morning.
– Gnats No More. Fabric softener sheets not only repel static cling but pests. A joint study last year by Kansas State University and University of Illinois found out that fabric softener sheets repel gnats. Fabric softener contains chemicals that prevent gnat larva from wreaking havoc on indoor and greenhouse potted plants.
– Pet Hair Remover. Did your cat get hair all over your black pants? Don’t worry about it. You can use a fabric softener sheet to remove pet hair from your clothes by rolling the sheet against the offending fur. The sheet fights off the static cling that makes pet hair stick.
– Water Spots Be Gone. Most of us have hard water, which can leave calcium deposits on chrome surfaces (like faucets and handles). It’s a pain to clean … unless you have a dryer sheet. Simply buff the chrome with a sheet to restore the spotless shine.
– Instant Sachets. Not too surprising, but a dryer sheet is great for clearing the air in stinky situations. Just toss one in a gym bag, in the kitchen garbage or even your sneakers. Your friends and family will thank you.