Sunset is at 5:23 this afternoon. That’s when the Jewish celebration of Hanukkah begins in the Valley. It’s rare that Hanukkah and Christmas overlap. But, this year, the Festival Of Lights wraps up on December 28th. The more holidays…the merrier!
(Courtesy of Connie Cone Sexton – Arizona Republic)
- At 4 p.m. Wednesday, Chabad of Fountain Hills is holding a “Chanukah Bowl” at the Fountain Bowl, 16737 E. Parkview Ave. Events include “Bowling Pin Menorah Lighting,” dreidel games and music. Cost: $12 for adults, $10 for children (includes the food, two hours of bowling and use of bowling shoes). Details: 480-776-4763.
- The Valley of the Sun Jewish Community Center, 12701 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, is offering “Hanukkah in the Hallway” events. Unless noted, programming begins at 4:45 p.m. each day and candle lighting at 5. Contact: 480-483-7121.
- At 5:07 p.m. Friday, there will be a candle-lighting ceremony at Temple Chai, 4645 E. Marilyn Road, Phoenix. Cantor Peter Halpern and the temple choir will lead a festive service. Bring your menorah. Contact: 602-971-1234.
- Congregation Beth Israel, 10460 N. 56th St., Scottsdale, will hold a Hanukkah celebration Friday. At 5:30 p.m. there will be a traditional latkes nosh, followed at 6:15 with the Shabbat evening service. Bring your menorah. Contact: 480-951-0323.
- At 5 p.m. Sunday, Chabad of Fountain Hills will ignite a public 12-foot menorah erected at Fountain Park, 12925 N. Saguaro Blvd. The event will be followed by a communitywide celebration with Jewish music and singing and food. Children’s activities include a moon bounce, face-painting and dreidel games. Contact: 480-776-4763.