[getty id="71975" title="Elton John Hits 3000 (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)" src="http://cbskool2.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/127538312.jpg?w=385&h=292"]
[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Elton John[/lastfm] reached a new milestone Saturday night in Vegas. He played his 3000th live concert! WOW. His solo debut was on March 25, 1970.
[photogallerylink id=70438 align=right]So, 41.5 years…3000 shows…how many other random stats can we find? You’d be surprised!!!
- Elton has toured with his band, solo, with percussionist Ray Cooper, with Eric Clapton, with Billy Joel, with Leon Russell and with orchestras and choirs.
- On two occasions he has performed in two cities on the same day — September 18th, 1971 in Oakland and San Diego, and July 2nd, 2005 at Live 8 in London followed by a show that night in Dublin.
- He has taken a break from touring three times. In 1977, he announced his retirement from the road during a show in London, but returned 18 months later. After a world tour in the mid-’80s he underwent surgery on his vocal cords and did not tour for close to two years. And in the early ’90s, he took a year-and-a-half off for health reasons.
- He has played upright, grand and electric pianos. He has played black, white and red pianos, as well as playing no piano at all.
- He has shared the stage with John Lennon, Jim Carrey, Stevie Wonder, Axl Rose, Sting, James Taylor, Jon Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson, Tina Turner, Tom Jones, Lionel Richie, Eric Clapton, Shirley Bassey, George Michael and countless others.
- He’s played in 74 countries.
- 1,608 shows in the U.S. including one in each of the 50 states.
- 497 in his native U.K.
- 138 in Australia.
- 133 in Germany.
- 102 in Canada.
- The remaining countries have 90 or less shows each.
- He has played every continent except Antarctica.
- Cities with most performances:
- Las Vegas — 272
- London — 159
- New York — 145
- Los Angeles area — 135
- Sydney, Australia — 51
- Venues with most performances:
- Caesars Palace – Las Vegas — 251
- Madison Square Garden — New York — 62
- Sydney Entertainment Centre — Sydney, Australia — 33
- Wembley Arena – London — 30
- Hammersmith Odeon – London — 27
- By decade, he’s played:
- 616 shows during the ’70s.
- 537 in the ’80s.
- 590 in the ’90s.
- 1,064 in the 2000s.
- 193 in this decade — number-194 is scheduled for Thursday in Vegas.