Looky Here. Phoenix Is #4!
Be proud, Phoenix. We’ve made another Top 10 list! This time, we’re #4…behind Cancun, Las Vegas and Orlando. The $64,000 question is: what list???
It’s the Orbitz Top Spring Break Destination List! Hmmm. While I enjoy living here, I find this one surprising. There are really just a few “party places” in the Valley for college kids. Mill Street in Tempe and Old Town Scottsdale come to mind. Maybe it’s not so much about parties as it is the warm weather and Spring training baseball. Are kids maturing faster???
(Courtesy of Orbitz)
Based on customer booking patterns from March 1 – April 24, 2011, Orbitz looked at the most popular destinations for Spring travel this year. Highlights include:
- Orlando dethrones Las Vegas as the number one Spring Break destination.
- Florida is king of Spring Break 2011 with four of the top 10 destinations in the state (Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers and Tampa).
- While average daily hotel rates are up in 8 of the top 10 destinations, affordable lodging deals are still available for spring travelers. Half of the top 10 destinations offer average daily hotel rates under $100 per night (Orlando, Fort Myers, Tampa, Los Angeles and Denver).
|Orbitz.com Top 10 Spring Break Destinations for 2011(1)|
|2011 ADR||2010 ADR||YOY ADR % Change|
|1||Orlando||3||$ 95.00||$ 88.00||+ 7%|
|2||Las Vegas||1||$ 101.00||$ 88.00||+ 15%|
|3||Cancun||15||$ 208.00||$ 198.00||+ 5%|
|4||Phoenix||5||$ 114.00||$ 96.00||+ 19%|
|5||Fort Lauderdale||7||$ 138.00||$ 125.00||+ 10%|
|6||Fort Myers||16||$ 99.00||$ 95.00||+ 4%|
|7||Tampa||12||$ 93.00||$ 90.00||+ 3%|
|8||New York||2||$ 207.00||$ 200.00||+ 4%|
|9||Los Angeles||4||$ 97.00||$ 104.00||- 7%|
|10||Denver||11||$ 92.00||$ 96.00||- 4%|
Three Tips for Scoring a Spring Break within Budget
According to a recent survey fielded by Orbitz.com, 75 percent of Spring Break travelers plan to keep their spring travel budget under $2,000. Orbitz.com Senior Travel Editor, Jeanenne Tornatore, offers three tips for scoring a fantastic Spring Break getaway that won’t break the bank:
Consider Off-Season City Escapes: Travelers looking for a spring getaway that will offer lots of fun minus the big budget should consider a city escape, particularly in a destination in its off-season like Chicago or Boston. “Hotels in big-city, off-season destinations will likely have excess inventory and are offering deals that will be hard for travelers to pass up,” says Tornatore.
Search for Hotel Promotions: “Looking for hotel promotions like 4th night free, ‘kids stay free’ or ‘kids eat free’ is a great way to save money on a Spring getaway,” continues Tornatore. For example, on Orbitz.com, all RockResorts from Jamaica to Vail are offering a Spring Break on Us promotion, giving consumers a 5th night free(2) for stays through April.
Package Deals are “Savings” Gold: “Buying a package deal is like putting a piece of gold back into a traveler’s pocket,” says Tornatore. “On Orbitz.com travelers can realize big savings by booking travel items together.” The Orbitz Packages Display Matrix makes it quick and easy to see all flight and hotel package options and what you will save by booking items together.
Other Notable Highlights from the Orbitz Spring Travel Survey
- Beaches (29%), cruises (25%) and city escapes (24%) were of interest to most travelers booking a Spring Break trip this year.
- An overwhelming 88% of travelers will avoid destinations that are thought to be college Spring Break party destinations, opting to find a more relaxing, family-friendly atmosphere.
- Proving that the destinations are recovering from last year’s oil spill, over half of Spring Break travelers would consider the Florida Gulf Coast and surrounding beaches for their Spring beach getaway.